5th Annual SomerStreets Series
The fifth annual SomerStreets series has begun. SomerStreets is the City of Somerville's take on the internationally-renowned Open Streets concept, closing busy city streets to vehicles, and opening them up for cycling, walking, dancing, running, and other modes of activity. Through SomerStreets, the City and its community partners aim to promote and encourage easy access to physical activity, fresh foods, and reconnecting with neighborhoods and businesses and their unique cultural elements in a thriving urban environment.
Join us for the Monster-Mashed UP @ SomerStreets on Sunday, October 19, with programming along Somerville Avenue from Washington Street. to Lowell Street from noon - 4 p.m. (rain or shine), Come and enjoy:• Costume Parade (steps off from Bow Street at 12:30 p.m.)
- Costume contests with prizes:
- Children's Contest: 1 p.m. at Conway Park
- Dog Costume Contest: 1-3 p.m. at River Dog Daycare
- Adult Costume Contest: 2:30 p.m. at River Dog Daycare
- Oktoberfest, 1-6 p.m. (Washington St. to Bow St.):
- Machu Picchu
- Sally O'Brien's
- Bull McCabe's
- .A.'s Lounge
- Zero Waste Halloween: Bring a Costume, Take a Costume
- Halloween Make-Up and Mask-Making Station
- Coconut Tree Climbing Wall
- Power Tool Pumpkin Carving by Artisan's Asylum
- M.U.S.C.R.A.T Bus Story Telling Project with SCATV: Noon - 2:30 p.m.
- Ghosts of Milk Row Cemetery Tours
- Live Music on Two Stages
- Safe Trick-or-Treating at more than 30 locations
- Autumn Craft Fair
- Family-Friendly Activities at Conway Park
And much much more!
All SomerStreets events will run from 12-4 p.m., rain or shine.
Bus Re-routes & detours
Eastbound and westbound lanes of Somerville Avenue from Washington St. to Lowell St. :
- Closed to all vehicular traffic from 10 a.m. to noon
- No parking on either side of the street from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The following one way streets will become two (2) way streets for the duration of the event.
Lowell St, Belmont St., Spring St., Atherton St., Beech St, from Cypress St., Laurel St., Knapp St., Granite St., Loring St., School St., Quincy St., Church St.,
MBTA Buses will be detoured from 10 a.m. .- 6p .m. Please contact the MBTA for more information
No 83 & 87 bus service along Somerville Ave (Washington St. to Lowell St.) from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Resident can pick up bus service at the following locations:
Bus 83 Connections:
Inbound: Opposite 159 Beacon St. near Park St. or Somerville Ave opposite Mossland St.
Outbound: Beacon St. and Park St or Somerville Ave and Beacon Terrace
Bus 87 Connections:
Inbound: Elm St. and Beech St. or Somerville Ave. and Prospect St.
Outbound: Somerville Ave. and Stone Ave., Union Sq., or Elm St. and St. James Ave.