‘SEIZE THE SUMMER' AT SOMERSTREETS ON HIGHLAND AVE., AUGUST 9
Free Open Streets event to feature live music, family-friendly activities, food, and more.
View flyer (PDF)
the season at "Seize the Summer," the August installment of the City's
SomerStreets festival, on Sunday, Aug. 9, from noon to 4 p.m. between
School Street and Lowell Streets on Highland Ave. SomerStreets is the
City of Somerville's take on the internationally renowned Open Streets
concept, closing busy city streets to vehicles, and opening them up for
cycling, walking, dancing, running, and other modes of activity. Through
SomerStreets, the City and its community partners aim to promote and
encourage easy access to physical activity, fresh foods, and
reconnecting with neighborhoods and businesses and their unique cultural
elements in a thriving urban environment.
Activities along Highland Ave. will include:
- Live entertainment including the Somerville Ukulele Club, School of HONK and The Undercovers
- Explore emergency apparatus including a fire truck and an ambulance;
- Hockey, football, and other kids activities;
- Skateboarding performance and free skate - bring your skateboards!
- Drills with semi-pro Somerville Rampage Football!
- Craft vendors and community vendors!
- Local restaurants and food vendors including Scoopsies ice cream!
- Craft activities on the MUSCRAT bus!
To ensure public safety at the event, the following road closures and parking bans will be in effect:
- Highland Ave. (School St. to Lowell St.): Closed to all vehicular traffic 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.; no parking 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Belmont St. (Summer to Highland), Spring Hill Terrace, and Sycamore St. (Highland Ave. to Madison St.) will become two way streets from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. to allow access for abutters.
- MBTA buses will be rerouted from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. For locations of rerouted bus stops, visit MBTA.com.
All SomerStreets events will run from noon to 4 p.m., rain or shine
Remaining 2015 events include:
- Strike Up the Bands @ SomerStreets: Sun., Sept. 20, Holland Ave.
- Monster Mashed-Up @ SomerStreets: Sun., Oct. 18, Somerville Ave.
For more information, visit www.somervillema.gov, or http://somervilleartscouncil.org/somerstreets/seize.