Search Site
Somerville Top Banner
Home Departments Residents Businesses Government

If you are a veteran who lives in Somerville, the city’s Department of Veteran’s Services will gladly assist you in obtaining copies of your service records. Feel free to call us at 617-625-6600, extension 4700, or visit us at City Hall Annex, 50 Evergreen Avenue, Somerville, MA. In some cases, we can provide you with a copy of your DD Form 214 and other documents on the spot.

Veterans who prefer to obtain service records themselves have two choices:

1. Write a letter

Write a letter that includes as much of the following information as possible:

Mail this letter to:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

Veterans generally must request their own records. Next-of-kin (widow or widower, son, daughter, father, mother, brother, or sister) of a deceased veteran must provide proof of death of the veteran, such as a copy of the death certificate, a letter from the funeral home, or a published obituary.

Please be patient while waiting for a response. The National Personnel Records Center receives more than 4,000 requests for records every day. The Center asks that you allow at least 90 days to pass before making a follow-up request.

2.  Submit Standard Form 180 (SF-180)

Download SF-180 by clicking here: 

Complete the form, sign it, and submit it by fax to:


Or mail it to:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

If you encounter any difficulty, feel free to call or visit the Somerville Department of Veterans’ Services for assistance.