Changes to the Condominium Conversion Ordinance
The Administration and the City Council performed a review of the condominium conversion ordinance in 2018. The Administration submitted a series of draft proposals for review by the Council and the Legislative Matters Committee at their public meetings. Below are links and information related to the creation of the new condominium conversion ordinance, which takes effect on July 31, 2019.
- Office of Housing Stability Responses to Selected Public Comments 3/4/2019
- Frequently Asked Questions About the New Condo Conversion Ordinance
- Condo Conversion Flow Chart
- Current Condo Conversion Ordinance
- New Condo Conversion Ordinance (Final)
- Flyer: Major Condo Conversion Ordinance Changes
- General Timeline Under Draft Condo Conversion Ordinance
- Condo Conversion Ordinance Comparison
- Proposed Condo Conversion Ordinance Process Timeline
- 1/31/2019 Hearing Presentation Slides
Public Hearing: Thursday, Jan. 31, 2019
Members of the public were invited to attend a public hearing hosted by the City Council to hear testimony on proposed changes to the City’s condo conversion ordinance. The changes are designed to both protect the rights of property owners while also offering better protection to tenants especially the elderly, persons with disabilities, and persons with low and moderate incomes. The hearing took place on Thursday, January 31, at 6 p.m., at Somerville City Hall on the 2nd Floor in the Council Chambers. All interested persons were offered a chance to provide testimony. A video recording of the meeting can be seen below, and the presentation slides are available at this link.