Upcoming Red Line Diversions
The MBTA has announced four (4) upcoming weekend diversions that are an extension of the previous Floating Slab-related Weekend Red Line Diversions that took place November 2011 into March 2012. Please feel free to share this information with your constituents and if you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. As always, thank you for supporting public transportation!
- During the weekends of November 17-18, November 24-25, December 1-2, and December 8-9, maintenance work will be conducted along the Red Line between Alewife and Harvard Square Stations as part of the Floating Slab project, requiring shuttle buses from start to end of service.
- The Floating Slab project involves the reparation of damaged concrete slabs that float on rubber disks along the Red Line tracks. These slabs absorb noise and vibration from trains and, after years of water infiltration, have become corroded and are in need of replacement in order to maintain safe Red Line service. This project also involves track and third rail replacement as well as the assessment of tunnel leaks in order to prevent further deterioration.
- Service Advisories regarding these four weekend diversions in November and December are currently being designed with installation planned to begin in the affected stations Friday, October 19, 2012, and continued along the entire Red Line.
- An online Service Advisory will be posted on mbta.com beginning Friday, October 19, 2012, through Sunday, December 9, 2012. A web promo highlighting the Floating Slab project will also be posted on mbta.com's homepage, linking customers to the online Advisory.
- Public announcements will occur along the Red Line every hour from the start to end of service beginning Monday, October 29, 2012.
- A detailed page regarding the Floating Slab project will be made live on the T-Projects section of mbta.com and listed here: http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t_projects/default.asp?id=22956.
- Social media, including Twitter and Flickr, will be utilized to help promote notification of the diversions prior to their scheduled weekends in November and December as well as to inform customers of MBTA crews' progress during the diversions.