Director, Six City Tobacco Initiative
Monday - Wednesday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Phone(617) 625-6600 ext 4318
City Hall Annex
50 Evergreen Ave.
Somerville, MA 02145
Somerville Board of Health Six City Tobacco Initiative
The Somerville Board of Health Six City Tobacco Initiative works to change community norms regarding the use of tobacco. The Initiative works to raise public awareness about tobacco control issues and the steps communities can take to protect themselves from the devastating effects of tobacco use.
Our primary goals are to prevent young people from becoming addicted to tobacco, and to protect the public from secondhand smoke. Listed below are some of the ways we are working in our region to make smoking history.
- Educating tobacco retailers about local and state laws, regulations, and ordinances,
- Conducting regular compliance checks of retailers to make it harder for youth to purchase tobacco products,
- Responding to public complaints about smoking in public places or the selling of tobacco to minors,
- Providing technical assistance on developing and implementing smoking policies for schools and businesses,
- Enforcing local tobacco regulations and ordinances,
- Promoting changes in local regulations and ordinances related to youth access to tobacco products and secondhand smoke in public places,
- Attending community events and health fairs to distribute information about tobacco,
- Sponsoring special events to raise awareness of tobacco issues and to keep Somerville youth tobacco free.
The Somerville Board of Health Six City Tobacco/Alcohol Initiative is proud to have staff that can provide services in English, Haitian Creole, Portuguese, and Spanish. Every effort will be made to provide services in other languages as needed.
The Initiative is 100% funded by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. The Initiative is a joint project of the health departments of Cambridge, Chelsea, Everett, Revere, Somerville, and Winthrop.
Somerville City Hall Annex will be temporarily closed until further notice for emergency repairs related to a burst pipe. Some departments have been moved to temporary locations, which are listed below, while others will work remotely.
Somerville Office of Veterans’ Services Partners with Fisher College Student Veterans for “Adopt-a-Service Member” Campaign
This year, the Somerville Office of Veterans’ Services joins the Fisher College Student Veterans’ Organization to collect items to send to our troops.
City Plans New “Memorial Week” Celebrations for Week Leading up to Memorial Day; Parade CHANGED for 2017 to Weekend BEFORE Memorial Day; NEW Concert and Fireworks Event on Memorial Day
SOMERVILLE – In honor of Somerville’s veterans and all those who have served our nation, the City of Somerville announces a full week of Memorial/Armed Forces Week celebrations, beginning on Saturday, May 20, 2017.
SOMERVILLE – Somerville’s annual Memorial Day Parade, the largest in the Boston metro region, and corresponding ceremonies are set for Sunday, May 24, with more family-friendly events than ever before along the parade route