Pearl Street Water Main Upgrades
Beginning August 20, 2018, the City’s contractor, Dewcon, will be upgrading a water main beneath Pearl St. Throughout the project, work will be conducted along almost the full length of Pearl St., beginning at Marshall St. and moving toward Mt. Vernon St. While all timelines are subject to change, work is anticipated to be completed in late winter. No major traffic impacts or neighborhood disruptions are expected.
The 16-inch diameter cast iron water main in this area includes pipe dating back to 1889 and is known to suffer from tuberculation, a form of corrosion, which reduces the amount of water that the pipe can supply. This project will clean and line these pipes, which both improves flow and strengthens the existing pipe. Additionally, valves will be replaced during the water main upgrades, which will improve system functionality.
Updates & Alerts
Anticipated Community Impacts
Updates & Alerts
- During the week of June 17, Dewcon expects to replace the water main at the Pearl St. / Pinckney St. intersection.
- They'll also remove temporary water pipes and repave open excavations between Cross St. and Mt. Vernon St.
- During the week of June 10, Dewcon expects to remove temporary water piping and repave open excavations on Pearl St. between Franklin St. and Mt. Vernon St.
- On Hillside Ave., they may also begin reconnecting individual services to the City water main.
- During the week of June 3, Dewcon expects to reconnect individual services to the City water main on Pearl St. between Franklin St. and Mt. Vernon St. They'll also continue backfilling and paving over trenches.
- On Hillside Ave., they'll continue water main replacement and testing the new service.
- During the week of May 27, Dewcon will continue reconnecting individual services to the City water main, and they'll begin removing some of the temporary water service piping on Pearl St. between Cross St. and Mt. Vernon St.
- They'll also continue backfilling and paving over trenches in that same stretch.
- Dewcon has finished lining the water main on Pearl St. between Cross St. and Vernon St., which improves water flow and strengthens the existing pipe.
- During the week of May 6, they'll begin installing new valves for better system functionality.
- If you live in the area, make sure you're enrolled in the City's Alert system to be notified prior to planned interruptions to your water service.
- Dewcon will continue excavating access pits, working east from Cross St. toward Mt. Vernon St.
- Crews will coordinate with residents directly to transfer individual services over to a temporary water main for the duration of construction. We'll notify residents prior to longer service interruptions via the City's Alert system.
- Beginning on or around April 1, 2019, the City’s contractor, Dewcon, will resume work to upgrade a water main beneath Pearl St. between Marshall St. and Mt. Vernon St. The 12-inch diameter cast iron water main in this area is more than 100 years old and must be upgraded to increase water supply and efficiency of services to your area.
- This project has two phases. Phase 1 was conducted on Pearl St. between Marshall St. and Cross St. and was completed last winter. In Phase 2, work will continue from Cross St. to Mt. Vernon St. Phase 2 is expected to last from approximately April through August. As with all construction, this timeline is subject to change due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
- On Monday, December 10, and Tuesday, December 11, Dewcon will replace a fire hydrant and a lateral pipe at the Pearl St. / Pearl Ter. intersection.
- After completing the work above, they're done for the winter. The project will resume in Spring 2019.
- Dewcon will continue working week to week on Pearl St. for the foreseeable future until the weather requires they break for the winter.
- They'll be at various locations between Marshall St. and Cross St., upgrading water laterals and patching pavement.
Cleaning and lining is complete from Marshall St. to McGrath Highway. Installation of valves and replacement of laterals in this stretch is ongoing, as is cleaning and lining of the water main from McGrath Highway to Rush St. The majority of Phase 1 is expected to be complete by mid-November.
In the spring, contractors will return for Phase 2, which will include work from Rush St. to Mt. Vernon St., and permanent patching between Marshall St. and Mt. Vernon St.
The City has prioritized this water main upgrade and accelerated its construction timeline so that this project will be completed before Green Line Extension construction begins in the area (expected Spring 2019). Pearl St. is a critical detour route during the Washington St. bridge closure. Pearl St. will then be repaved in 2020 as part of the City’s Pavement and Sidewalk Management Program.
Work on this project will be conducted in two phases. During Phase 1, approximately mid-August to late November, crews will work along Pearl St. from Marshall St to Cross St. Starting concurrently in Phase 2, they’ll continue from Cross St. to Mt. Vernon St., approximately mid-September to early February. As with all construction, this timeline is subject to change due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.
Anticipated Community Impacts
- Pearl St. is expected to remain open to through traffic for the duration of the project. Lane closures, lane shifts, and parking restrictions may be implemented as needed.
- The contractor will patch sections of pavement as they complete work in each area, and again after the winter freeze-thaw cycle.
- Some residents will experience interruptions to their water service when contractors install temporary water mains, and later when buildings are connected to the new water mains. Those affected will be notified directly by the City and the contractor before all interruptions.
- Some excavation work will be conducted during work hours, typically between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., along the length of the project to provide access to the existing water main in order to line the pipes. The excavation work may produce moderate noise.