Somerville is a city that upholds progressive principles for both employees and residents alike. If you are looking for a culture that embraces innovation, empowerment, and collaborative involvement, Somerville not only embraces these talents but encourages them. Creative, hands-on collaboration with passionate dedication are at the core of the City’s workplace culture. Challenging and fast-paced, Somerville also offers a generous benefits package that embodies a strong work/life balance. Not only is it a “Model City”, as termed by The Boston Globe, but it is also a model employer.
Statement of Duties
The Capital Projects Project Manager Utilities is responsible for managing and coordinating major water, wastewater, and storm water capital improvement projects. This position coordinates and directs all activities and personnel involved in the implementation and completion of projects and contracts including but not limited to design, scheduling, construction, budget and construction compliance. Employee is required to perform all similar or related duties.
This is a safety-sensitive position.
- Oversee the design and construction of major utility improvement projects including water, wastewater, and storm water infrastructure.
- Ensures that capital construction projects are designed, conducted and completed in accordance with goals established by the Capital Projects and Planning Department with respect to quality of work, schedule and budget
- Plans and executes the design and construction of municipal utilities in conformance with Federal, State and local regulations and design standards ensuring that the work meets or exceeds expectations.
- Works closely with the Engineering Department, the Office of Strategic Planning and Community Development and the Office of Sustainability and Environment to create project design standards and recommend critical design elements in the planning of the City’s transportation and utility system infrastructure. Project priorities include:
- Balancing transportation modes: pedestrian, bike, bus and car
- Reducing volumes of storm water entering the sewer and combined sewer system through low impact development techniques
- Managing, organizing, coordinating and monitoring activities and functions of projects in cooperation with other departments and outside agencies, contractors and design professionals.
- Coordinating and managing private consultants in the study, design and construction oversight of capital improvement projects. Managing projects through the public procurement process including bidding and construction.
- Determines need for, reviews and approves Amendments and Change Orders on design and/or construction projects.
- Reviews and approves Contractors’ Certificates for Payment and/or consultant invoices.
- Reviews, approves or details changes needed on consultant work products.
- Analyzes and prepares written reports on program and project performance using qualitative analyses and other project management techniques.
- Develops program and project budgets, schedules, work plans, and cost estimates and projections.
- Works cooperatively with other City employees and private organizations to facilitate project implementation and completion.
- Interacts with utility companies and other governmental agencies to obtain necessary permits and clearances and to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Meets and works with elected officials, community representatives, business owners and residents to review proposed projects and activities, address questions and comments and educate community on the value and need for proposed projects.
- May make presentations to Aldermen Committees as well as to resident advocacy groups.
- Attends and manages public meetings outside of regular work hours.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skill
Knowledge: Knowledge of principles and practices of engineering, research methods and report presentation, principles of budgeting, accounting and finance methods; knowledge of environmental laws and regulations as they pertain to municipal water and sewer system design, construction and operation; knowledge of industry standards and best practices (e.g. AWWA); knowledge of applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations related to engineering, environment, infrastructure and procurement; knowledge and expertise with various local, state and federal funding mechanisms for infrastructure.
Abilities: Ability to produce written documents with clearly organized thoughts using proper sentence construction, punctuation and grammar; use and interpret graphical information such as construction plans, schematic drawings, wiring drawings, flow charts, layouts and other visual aids, and electronic project management applications; interpret information accurately and make decisions according to existing laws, regulations and policies; ability to manage multiple projects of various complexities with competing interest and multiple funding sources
Skill: Proficient communication skills, both verbal and written as well as the ability to deal with the public in tense situations; proficiency with computers in all office software along with various engineering software applications like GIS or Arc View.
The work environment involves everyday discomforts typical of offices, with occasional exposure to outside elements. Noise or physical surroundings may be distracting, but conditions are generally not unpleasant. Employee may be required to work beyond normal business hours in response to attend evening meetings or complete work assignments. Work may require some agility and physical strength, such as moving in or about construction sites or over rough terrain, or standing or walking most of the work period. Occasionally, work may require lifting heavy objects and carrying them. There may be need to stretch and reach to retrieve materials.
Physical and Mental Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Employee will spend time in the office and in the field during construction projects. Work effort involves an equal mix of sitting, standing and walking to perform work tasks. There may also be some occasional lifting of objects such as books, office equipment, and computer paper. During construction season, employee may be standing for periods longer than two to three (2-3) hours at a time.
Duties may involve assignments requiring application of hand and eye coordination with finger dexterity and motor coordination. Examples include operating a motor vehicle, using a personal computer, or climbing a ladder.
Visual demands include constantly reading documents for general understanding and for analytical purposes, routinely reviewing non-written materials such as maps and blueprints for analytical purposes; the employee is required to determine color differences.
This position will remain open until filled. Send your resume and cover letter to:
City Hall Personnel Office
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville MA 02143
Email: [email protected]
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to apply.
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon request.
Individuals with disabilities who need auxiliary aids and services for effective communication, written materials in alternative formats, or reasonable modifications in policies and procedures, in order to access the programs and activities of the City of Somerville or to attend meetings, should contact the City’s ADA Coordinator, Nency Salamoun, at 617-625-6600 x2323 or [email protected].