Somerville is a city that upholds progressive principles for both employees and residents alike. If you are looking for a culture that embraces innovation, empowerment, and collaborative involvement, Somerville not only embraces these talents, but encourages them. Creative, hands on collaboration with passionate dedication are at the core of the City’s workplace culture. Challenging and fast paced, Somerville also offers a generous benefits package that embodies a strong work life balance. Not only is it a “Model City”, as termed by The Boston Globe, but it is also a model employer.
Statement of Duties
The Director of Finance & Administration is responsible for all administrative, financial, and customer service functions of the business office in the Water and Sewer Department. Employee is required to perform all similar or related duties.
- Directs, coordinates and supervises administrative, financial and service functions of office.
- Develops the Annual Operating Budgets for the Water and Sewer Enterprise Funds.
- Develops the 10 Year Capital Investment Plan for the Water and Sewer Enterprise Funds.
- Provides long and short range revenue forecasting.
- Manages accounting, billing, budgeting and payroll activities.
- Performs revenue analysis and assists with setting yearly usage rates in cooperation with the Water & Sewer Director.
- Develops proposals for new charge models with the goal of complete cost recovery.
- Researches, investigates, and applies for all current grant and loan programs including those offered by the MWRA, DEP, and Clean Water Trust Fund.
- Manages the financial aspects of MWRA grant and loan programs, including all required reporting.
- In conjunction with City Treasurer, manages bond schedules and ensures on-schedule payment of debt service payments.
- Performs cost/benefit and ‘make/buy’ analysis of proposed vendor contracts.
- Oversee water and sewer billing, lien activity, and water shut-offs for non-payment.
- Monitors departmental spending and makes recommendations for budget adjustments.
- Manages all contracts and contract renewals.
- Coordinates with Departmental personnel the development of contract specifications for procurement purposes.
- Reviews revenue receipts and entries for proper posting in accounting system.
- Manages customer service staff responsible for providing centralized reception, work request and complaint services.
- Establishes administrative and operational controls to record and monitor departmental activities (i.e., attendance, overtime, project costs).
- Participates in developing and implementing departmental policies and procedures.
- Responds to all requests for public information.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications
Recommended Minimum Qualifications
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, finance, accounting, public administration, or related discipline and seven (7) years’ experience jn a finance related position; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Financial experience with Public Utilities preferred.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skill
Knowledge: Knowledge of governmental budgeting and accounting; knowledge of enterprise fund accounting. Microsoft office and MUNIS experience preferred.
Abilities: Ability to interact with diverse groups and individuals. Ability to complete multiple tasks in a timely, detailed and organized manner. Requires excellent oral and written communication ability.
Skill: Analytical skills required. Proficient data processing skills, including spreadsheet applications such as Microsoft Excel. Experience with word processing, database management, and financial accounting software.
The work environment involves everyday discomforts typical of offices, with occasional exposure to outside elements. Noise or physical surroundings may be distracting, but conditions are generally not unpleasant. Employee may be required to work beyond normal business hours in response to attend evening meetings or complete work assignments.
Physical and Mental Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Few physical demands are required to perform the work. Work effort principally involves sitting to perform work tasks, with intermittent periods of stooping, walking, and standing. May also be some occasional lifting of objects such as office equipment and computer paper (up to 30 lbs.)
Duties are largely mental rather than physical, but the job may occasionally require minimal motor skills for activities such as moving objects, operating a telephone, personal computer and/or most other office equipment including word processing, filing and sorting of papers.
Visual demands require constantly reading documents for general understanding and analytical purposes.
This position will remain open until filled. Please send resumes and cover letters to:
City Hall Personnel Office
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville MA 02143
Email: [email protected]
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to apply.
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon request.
Individuals with disabilities who need auxiliary aids and services for effective communication, written materials in alternative formats, or reasonable modifications in policies and procedures, in order to access the programs and activities of the City of Somerville or to attend meetings, should contact the City’s ADA Coordinator, Nency Salamoun, at 617-625-6600 x2323 or [email protected].