About the City of Somerville
Somerville is a city that upholds progressive principles for both employees and residents. The City of Somerville values diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging throughout our hiring practices; these values are embedded in our mission and work environment—furthermore, we encourage applications from a diverse range of professional experiences and skillsets. We embrace and encourage an innovative, empowering, and collaborative workplace culture in a fast-paced, challenging environment. The City also offers a generous benefits package that embodies a strong work-life balance. Not only is Somerville a “Model City,” as termed by The Boston Globe, it is also a model employer.
Now Hiring: IT Specialist-Office 365 Suite Cloud Management
Responsible for managing the Office 365 and Azure cloud tenant infrastructure environment and any other essential functions required as a member of the City IT department.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Responsible for maintaining and troubleshooting the Office 365 and Azure cloud tenant infrastructure across the City and Public Safety environments. This includes email gateway, email delivery, O365 application delivery and support, and current and future cloud infrastructure.
- Responsible for maintaining and troubleshooting the email security gateway.
- Monitor and update our O365 cloud tenant environment based on Microsoft major change notifications.
- Maintain and update dmarc configuration as needed.
- Maintain our security awareness training implementation.
- Provide hardware and software helpdesk support for desktop computers and servers running Microsoft and Linux operating systems.
- Assist in management/administration of windows active directory environment, windows operating systems, SQL server, Microsoft office suite and all other required application software.
- Assist in configuring/maintaining file storage and resource permissions and strategy.
- Assist in managing our update server for OS updates and application deployments.
- Assist with monitoring all servers for hardware/performance issues and perform problem diagnostics and resolution as they arise.
- Assist in administration of Microsoft Office 365 tenant.
- Assist with VoIP monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Assist with FOIA record requests especially for confidential requests from Law/HR.
- Assist with analyzing cabling requirements.
- Analyze storage and memory requirements for hardware to plan procurements, configurations and deployment.
- Coordinate with all departments regarding computer equipment, personnel moves and other computer issues.
- Coordinate new hire/employee separation with Human Resources in a timely manner.
- Assist in the maintenance of virtual services and thin clients.
- Maintain and update the data center inventory.
- Assist in managing Print server and data backups.
- Assist with the managing, configuration, and troubleshooting of all COS mobile devices.
- Evaluate user requests for problems with hardware and software.
- Support helpdesk phones and immediate computer problems via remote or on-site help in a timely manner.
- Work with ticketing system for all incoming work orders and triage issues with the appropriate IT and/external resources.
- Work with 3rd party application vendors as needed.
- Provide basic user training/instruction on COS software applications as needed.
- Available for work outside normal business hours as needed. Overtime available.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree and three (3) years’ experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Certification in Microsoft Office 365 and/or other Microsoft technologies preferred. Certification in desktop repair and troubleshooting from a duly authorized institution such as COMPTIA preferred.
- Must have a safe driving record.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skill
Knowledge: Extensive experience in managing an Office 365 tenant including email, MS Teams, One Drive, Sharepoint, and other applications. Knowledge of Azure Cloud services and management, email security and gateways, Dmarc, Active Directory, Windows servers, laptops, networks, and servers. Experience configuring and troubleshooting cellular devices using O365 and calendar. Experience with VMware.
Abilities: Ability to use Track-IT or other work order tracking software.
Skill: Skill in dealing with internal customers and troubleshooting. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (written and verbal).
The work environment involves everyday discomforts typical of offices, with occasional exposure to outside elements. Noise or physical surroundings may be distracting, but conditions are generally not unpleasant. Employee may be required to work beyond normal business hours in response to attend evening meetings or complete work assignments.
Physical and Mental Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Physical Skills: Minimal physical demands are required to perform the work. Work effort principally involves sitting to perform work tasks, with intermittent periods of stooping, walking, and standing. There may also be some occasional lifting of objects such as office equipment or photocopy paper (up to 30lbs.). On occasion, more physical effort is required when moving or setting up computer equipment.
Motor Skills: Duties are largely mental rather than physical, but the job may occasionally require minimal motor skills for activities such as moving objects, operating a telephone, personal computer and/or most other office equipment including word processing, filing and sorting of papers. Skills in repairing computers and related equipment may require more precise fine motor skills.
Visual Skills: Visual demands require constantly reading documents for general understanding and analytical purposes.
This position will remain open until filled. Send your resume and cover letter to:
City Hall Personnel Office
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville MA 02143
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to apply.
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon request.
Persons with disabilities who need auxiliary aids and services for effective communication (i.e., CART, ASL), written materials in alternative formats, or reasonable modifications in policies and procedures in order to access the programs, activities, and meetings of the City of Somerville should please contact Nancy Bacci at 617-625-6600 x 2250 or email@example.com.
COVID-19 Vaccination Required
To better protect the health and safety of staff and the public, all City of Somerville employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of November 1, 2021. Exemptions and/or reasonable accommodations are not guaranteed and will be reviewed by the City of Somerville Human Resources Department on a case-by-case basis. Learn more at somervillema.gov/HR/COVID19.