Inspects and tests new and existing plumbing systems and water heating systems for conformance with laws. Inspects and tests water circulation, piping, fixtures, equipment, air conditioning, and water storage systems. Examines plans for plumbing systems and advises plumbers and builders. Issues permits for installation, alteration, repair and connecting plumbing to sewers. Investigates complaints of violations, issues orders for corrections, and keeps necessary records.
Inspects and tests gas piping systems in process of construction, alteration, replacement and repair for adherence to regulations and codes, and the provisions of general laws. Inspects installation of appliances, fixtures, water heaters and boilers for proper installation and leaks. Investigates complaints of old and potentially dangerous gas fitting installations, violations of laws, and hazardous and defective materials. Interprets, gives advice on and enforces gas fitting laws. Issues permits and keeps records of inspections.
Answer calls for fires when requested by Fire Department. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master plumber's license as required by the State of Massachusetts.
- Shall be certified by Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a plumbing and gas inspector, or have 5 years' experience as a plumbing & gas inspector in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and have current certificate of continuing education.
- Knowledge of plumbing installation and ability to check services for safety and code requirements.
- Knowledge of gas installation and ability to check services for safety and code requirements.
- Knowledge of Massachusetts code for installation of gas appliances and gas piping.
- Must be capable of dealing pleasantly and efficiently with the public.
- Must be capable of understanding and following orders and/or request both written and oral.
- Must be able to prepare written reports and findings.
- Must possess a Massachusetts Class III Driver's License and have access to a motor vehicle.
- Must have computer knowledge of Microsoft Office, and be willing to learn software required for performance of job duties.
- Physical requirements include: ability to lift up to 50lbs, stand for long periods of time, navigate rough terrain, and walk up and down stairs.
This position will remain open until filled. Please send your resume and cover letter to:
City Hall Personnel Office
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville MA 02143
Email: [email protected]
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to apply.
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon request.
Individuals with disabilities who need auxiliary aids and services for effective communication, written materials in alternative formats, or reasonable modifications in policies and procedures, in order to access the programs and activities of the City of Somerville or to attend meetings, should contact the City’s ADA Coordinator, Nency Salamoun, at 617-625-6600 x2323 or [email protected].