About the City of Somerville
Somerville is a city that upholds progressive principles for both employees and residents. The City of Somerville values diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging throughout our hiring practices; these values are embedded in our mission and work environment—furthermore, we encourage applications from a diverse range of professional experiences and skillsets. We embrace and encourage an innovative, empowering, and collaborative workplace culture in a fast-paced, challenging environment. The City also offers a generous benefits package that embodies a strong work-life balance. Not only is Somerville a “Model City,” as termed by The Boston Globe, it is also a model employer.
Now Hiring: Temporary Recruitment Administrative Assistant
Assists with the administrative functions of the full life-cycle recruitment process (recruitment, interviewing, hiring, and onboarding) for the City of Somerville.
- Monitors and files job applications.
- Posts job advertisements online through various sourcing channels.
- Tracks advertising expenditures.
- Works with City hiring managers to coordinate and organize the interview process.
- Assists with scheduling interviews, troubleshoots potential calendar conflicts within hiring panel, and coordinates logistics .
- Prepares interview folders for the hiring panel.
- Maintains consistent communication with candidates and hiring managers regarding next steps.
- Provides timely correspondence to candidates and hiring managers/recruiters on job application or interview status, and escalates any concerns or delays with a sense of urgency.
- Assists with reference checks.
- Processes background checks and other pre-hire screenings.
- Creates offer letters and pre-hire/onboarding paperwork, and other correspondence as requested.
- Assists with the internal union bid process.
- 3-5 years of administrative experience; experience in human resources or recruiting a plus but not required.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proven calendar management experience.
- Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks, delivering high-quality work in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment.
- Handles confidential information with discretion and sensitivity.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Able to navigate websites quickly and adapt advertising text to meet different job posting board requirements
- Ability to set up and participate in remote interviews (e.g., Zoom, GoToMeeting)
- Strong workplace adaptability and flexibility skills
- Enjoys working with a team with limited visual and auditory privacy
- Must meet City COVID-19 vaccination requirements and be able to work in office setting
Please note: To better protect the health and safety of staff and the public, all City of Somerville employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of November 1, 2021. Reasonable accommodations will be made for medical and religious reasons.
Send your resume and cover letter to:
City Hall Personnel Office
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville MA 02143
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to apply.
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon request.
Individuals with disabilities who need auxiliary aids and services for effective communication, written materials in alternative formats, or reasonable modifications in policies and procedures, in order to access the programs and activities of the City of Somerville or to attend meetings, should contact the City’s ADA Coordinator, Adrienne Pomeroy, at 617-625-6600 x2059 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Vaccination Required
To better protect the health and safety of staff and the public, all City of Somerville employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of November 1, 2021. Exemptions and/or reasonable accommodations are not guaranteed and will be reviewed by the City of Somerville Human Resources Department on a case-by-case basis. Learn more at somervillema.gov/HR/COVID19.