We're marking Somerville's 175th birthday all year, but March is an especially important month. It was in March of 1842 that Somerville officially separated from Charlestown and became its own city.
The City of Somerville is Turning 175!
The City of Somerville officially separated from Charlestown in March, 1842, and to celebrate we are throwing a year-long series of commemorative events!
The City of Somerville officially separated from Charlestown in March, 1842, and to celebrate we are throwing a year-long series of commemorative events! Be sure to check back regularly for updates, and ways to get involved.
In the meantime, we invite you to share your stories, opinions, comments, and questions!
Share your stories, photos, quick comments, favorite memories, etc. of Somerville. Whether you grew up here, are a long-time or fairly new resident, we’d love to hear from you.
Have an idea for a program, event, or historic material we can use in our celebrations? Do you have questions about how we plan to celebrate? Send them our way with the form below!
The celebrations continue!
As part of this year’s festivities, we want to take the time to particularly celebrate our “foodie” culture, and continue to showcase the wonderfully diverse and delicious cuisines found in our city. During the month of June, we invited restaurants to celebrate with us in several ways, including sponsoring prix fixe dinner menus during the last two weeks of June, providing special offers and discounts, and/or offering a special food or drink item on their menu featuring Fluff, in honor of its own 100th anniversary. Below are the participating restaurants, and the specials they’re offering this month. NOTE: Most of the activities and specials are taking place over the last two weeks of June, between Sunday and Thursday, unless otherwise noted. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
Foodie Month officially kicks off on Wednesday, June 14, with the Taste of Somerville at its new location in Nathan Tufts Park, sponsored by the Somerville Chamber of Commerce. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.tasteofsomerville.org.
- Bon Me – Free drink at Food Truck (visit the truck at Powder House Park on Tuesday evenings!)
- Brass Union – $21.75 Prix Fixe dinner menu
- Bronwyn -- $31.75 Prix Fixe dinner menu
- Casa B -- $31.75 Prix Fixe dinner menu
- Cuisine en Locale (Highland Ave.) – special pop-up dinner and beer event
- Daddy Jones -- $31.75 Prix Fixe dinner menu, Fluff cocktail, Fluff menu item
- El Potro
- The Foundry -- $31.75 Prix Fixe dinner menu
- Fuji at Assembly -- $31.75 Prix Fixe dinner menu
- Gracie’s Ice Cream – Special Fluff menu item: Brand new Fluff Cone Crowns, featuring fruity pebbles, Cocoa pebbles, or baco bits on top off a fluff cone, $1.75
- The Independent -- $31.75 Prix Fixe dinner menu
- Kung Fu Tea – 20% off discount
- La Posada -- $41.75 Prix Fixe dinner for 2
- Manoa Poke Shop -- $31.75 Prix Fixe dinner menu
- Meju – Fluff cocktail
- MEM Tea – free 1 oz. packet of tea
- The Neighborhood -- special Fluff menu item
- River Bar -- $31.75 Prix Fixe dinner menu
- Saloon -- $31.75 Prix Fixe dinner menu
- Somerville Brewing Company (both locations!) -- $31.75 Prix Fixe dinner menu (brewery location only), special discount on menu item (both locations), Fluff menu item (both locations)
- Tasting Counter (Union Sq. area) -- $31.75 Prix Fixe dinner menu (during Wine Bar ONLY, Tuesday – Saturday)
- Whole Foods – Free Mochi with any purchase over $5
Other Ways to Stay Involved
Join us at any or our upcoming summer events, and visit the 175th Anniversary booth to get information, or to share your favorite Somerville memory!
- SomerStreets. Held one Sunday each month, from June through October, in different locations throughout the City. Check www.somervillema.gov for a full list of SomerStreets events.
- Independence Day Fireworks. Thursday, June 29, 6 p.m., Trum Field. Live music followed by fireworks at 9 p.m.
- What the Fluff? Festival. Saturday, September 23, 3 – 7 p.m., Union Square Plaza. Celebrate Fluff’s 100th birthday!
Check back often for new events!
Join us for the City's annual Patriot's Day event, a Colonial Fair at Foss Park featuring, games, refreshments, 'Colonial Passports', and more!
To celebrate the City of Somerville's 175th Anniversary, this year’s short films theme is “Somerville old and new.”
Come celebrate as we honor all who serve our country, commonwealth, and city, and as we celebrate the City's 175th Anniversary!
The parade will depart from City Hall at 1 p.m. SHARP and proceed along Highland Ave. to Davis Square. The parade will continue along Holland St. and end at the corner of Holland St. and Broadway.