About the Building Division
The Building Division of the Inspectional Services Department (ISD) provides, permitting, plan review, inspections, and related services in order to ensure compliance with the Massachusetts State Building Code and Somerville Zoning Ordinance.
- Reviewing plans and issuing permits to homeowners, licensed contractors or architects
- Conducting field inspections on building permits, certificates of occupancy, certificates of inspection, fire escapes, requests from homeowners and contractors
- Responding to complaints received by homeowners, tenants or contractors to ensure a safe and clean environment
- Representing the City of Somerville in court for violations of the Somerville Zoning Ordinance and/or State Regulations
- Responding to emergencies as requested by the Somerville Fire Department
- Coordinating with the Somerville Fire Department, Health Department, and the Department of Public Works
- Registering and regulating newspaper boxes in the City
When is a Building Permit Required?
Anyone seeking to construct, reconstruct, alter, repair, or demolish a structure or install a sign must first obtain a building permit at the Inspectional Services Division (ISD). Per Somerville Zoning Ordinance and Massachusetts State Building Code (780 C.M.R.), a building permit must be obtained before the start of any work and must be prominently displayed at the job site. Sign permits and demolition permits are categories of building permits, which are required by the Building Code. Follow this link for information about Demolition Permits. A building permit signifies that the proposed use or structure is meeting zoning prerequisites (e.g.; setback, frontage, or minimum yard-size requirements) and the State Building Code. Ordinary repairs, as defined in the Building Code, such as painting and tiling, do not require a building permit. If you are unsure if you require a building permit or to schedule a preliminary meeting with a building inspector please call ISD at 617-625-6600 ext. 5600, or e-mail email@example.com.