Current Job Openings
View Our Job Openings Portal
Please review our job openings and apply for the positions that match your qualifications.
Browse All Job Openings
Civil Service Careers
The City of Somerville fills vacant positions of Police Officers and Firefighters through the Massachusetts Human Resources Division, Civil Service Unit as required by the State of Massachusetts. For more information on Civil Service testing or to apply for a test, please go to mass.gov/civilservice.
- Police Officers and Firefighters are employed through the Massachusetts Human Resources Division, Civil Service Unit as needed. After the examination and certification of candidates by the Massachusetts Resources Division, which give preference to Veterans, the City of Somerville utilizes the Residency Preference system allowed by the Massachusetts law for new hires to police officer and firefighter positions. Preference is given to candidates who reside in Somerville for one year prior to the date of the civil service examination. Veterans Preference is provided for appointment to Civil Service positions to veterans as per the Massachusetts Civil Service System.
The Hiring Process
Job candidates should know where they stand in the hiring process. This section outlines the steps we take to make the best hiring decisions.
Submit your cover letter and resume for one of our job openings!
We review every submitted job application, and usually contact candidates we’d like to interview within 30 to 60 days after the opening is advertised.
You can always contact our Recruitment & Retention team for updates on your application.
Note: The City of Somerville does not currently sponsor visas.
Initial Interview or Screening
We’ll contact candidates we’d like to talk to further and schedule one of the following:
An initial interview with the hiring panel.
A phone screening.
Final Interview or Assessment
The hiring panel conducts final interviews. A written assessment or another exercise may also be required at this step.
Conditional Offer & Onboarding
We review references for finalists. If we feel you are the right person for the job opening, we’ll make an offer and begin the pre-hire screening and onboarding process.
We’ll contact references for final candidates. If we mutually agree that you are the right fit for one of our job openings, we'll make an offer and begin the pre-hire screening and onboarding process!
Things to Know Before You Apply
The City of Somerville has several policies and programs in place to ensure the safety and growth of our staff. Please review this section before you apply for any of the City of Somerville’s job openings:
The City of Somerville requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID 19 as a condition of employment, effective November 1, 2021. The Human Resources will review exemptions and reasonable accommodations on a case-by-case basis. Exemptions and reasonable accommodations are not guaranteed
- State Ethics Training
The Massachusetts Ethics Commission requires all all state, county, and municipal employees to cmplete online conflict of interest law training every two years. You will be required to complete this training as part of the onboarding process. The City of Somerville is also required to provide you with a summary of the conflict of interest law within 30 days of your start date and yearly after that. You will need to sign a written acknowledgement that you received the summary.
- Remote/Hybrid Work
Most employees have transitioned to working onsite full-time. The City of Somerville does not have a remote/hybrid workplace policy, but department heads can grant permission to work a hybrid schedule on a case-by-case basis.
- Professional Development
As a City of Somerville employee, you’ll receive routine training on employment-related policies and best practices.
We also encourage department head to work with staff with staff for participation in job-related programs for continued larning, growth and prfessional engagement.
Employees covered by a collective bargaining agreement may be provided opportunities and incentives for advancing education and professional growth as outlined in the appropriate agreement.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or want to check the status of your application. Please include your full name and which position you are inquiring about in your email.
About Employee Benefits
The City of Somerville provides a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to ensure that its employees are happy, healthy, and prepared for life changes and challenges. Explore the information below to learn more about each piece of the City's benefits package.
- Medical insurance through the Group Insurance Commission (GIC)
- Dental coverage with low and high plans through Cigna
- Vision care through the Vision Service Plan (VSP)
- Long-term disability through Sun Life
- Group and voluntary life insurance through Boston Mutual
- Flexible spending plans through Benefit Strategies
- Deferred compensation through a choice of three vendors
- Employee assistance through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provided by E4Health
In addition, the City of Somerville's benefits package includes other discounts and perks with vendors such as Working Advantage, Hubway, Zipcar, and multiple mobile providers.