Shape Up Somerville
Shape Up Somerville is a strategy to build and sustain a healthy community in collaboration with partners for everyone that lives, works in and visits the city.
Our mission includes:
• Work within the “Collective Impact” Framework grounded in a common agenda, shared measurement systems, mutually reinforcing activities, continuous communication, with SUS acting as the backbone support organization
• Focus on ‘Systems Change’, engaging all sectors and levels of the community including local government, businesses, schools, non-profits, healthcare, grass-roots organizations, and individuals, to create policy change
• Address the Social Determinants of Health, focusing on engaging at risk populations, including but not limited to: ethnic minorities, immigrants, low-income residents, and non-English speakers
• Increase Access to Healthy Food: Food Rescue System, Affordable Farmers’ Markets, School Gardens/Farm to School, Healthy Restaurant Campaign, School Food Service Improvements, Urban Agriculture Connections, Worksite Wellness
• Increase Access to Physical Activity opportunities: Extension of the Community Path, Green Line Subway Extension, Structured Physical Activity throughout the School Day, Walkable and Bikeable Streets and Neighborhoods, Worksite Wellness
to see more information about the original study.