Get Involved: Be Somerville!
What makes Somerville great? YOU! Somerville residents have awesome ideas, a wealth of knowledge, and interesting perspectives that are invaluable to the City. There are lots of ways to be involved with Somerville, shape the community, and share your talents. So, please, don’t just live in Somerville...Be Somerville!
Applications for some board and commission seats are reviewed by the Appointments Advisory Committee, which makes recommendations for appointments to the Mayor.
Board and Commission Vacancies
Participatory Budgeting Working Group Members (Apply by Fri, September 16, 2022)
Condominium Review Board Members (Apply by Wed., October 19, 2022)
Elected officials serve two-year terms and municipal elections are held in odd-numbered years. On the Elections Department website you can find information on how to register to vote, where you vote, who represents you, past election results, and information on how to run for office.
Somerville is divided into seven wards and each is represented by one City Councilor and one School Committee member. There are also four members of the City Council who are elected at-large (citywide).
We want to be able to share important information with you and we want to hear your feedback and ideas. Our goal is to get the word out as many ways as possible and take in feedback however you’d like to give it. If you have any other suggestions, please let us know. Here are some ways to keep the conversation flowing:
- Sign up for City alerts. You’ll get phone, text, and/or email notifications about things like snow emergencies, road closures, and public safety emergencies.
- Join us at a ResiStat meeting. Every spring and fall a ResiStat meeting is held in each of the City’s seven Wards. At the meetings, you can get an overview of things happening in Somerville and your neighborhood. City staff and elected officials are around before and after the meeting to chat and answer questions.
- Speaking of ResiStat...signing up for the weekly ResiStat eNewsletter will help you stay on top of what’s going on, follow issues you care about and know about fun things coming up.
- You can call 311 (or 617-666-3311) anytime to get answers to questions or make a service request. Don’t want to make a call? No problem. You can also use our online system or 311 apps.
- Connect with us on our social media accounts.
Amith Saligrama, a student at Commonwealth School, wanted to make it easier for people to find a public bathroom in Somerville. He dedicated his time and talents to the creation of bathroomaccess.com, which gives users an interactive map of public bathrooms and portable toilets along with their hours of operation. Thanks, Amith!
Please note: This site may not work correctly in Safari due to a bug in the Leaflet JS library it uses. The developer is aware of the problem and is working on a fix.
Please submit website feedback using this form. Be sure to include:
Thank you for your feedback!