There are lots of ways to be involved with Somerville, shape the community, and share your talents, so get involved and Be Somerville!
About Communications & Community Engagement
Communications & Community Engagement encompasses City Cable operations, community and immigrant outreach, constituent services, and media relations. We strive to use a broad and innovative range of channels and initiatives to provide the greatest possible number of community members with information on emergencies, services, programs, public meetings, initiatives and events.
An essential function is the department’s round-the-clock constituent service center 311, which is operated by the Constituent Service Division. CCE also facilitates and encourages resident participation in all aspects of City government and community activities. While balancing traditional outreach via print and local media, the department provides constituents expanded access to government information and services via a range of options from public meetings to eGovernment technologies including innovative web-based services, social media, and video streaming. In its efforts to inform, serve, and engage the community, CCE aims to provide quality constituent service, enhance the quality of life within the city, and help city government be responsive to community needs. The Department encompasses seven core program areas and one subdivision:
- Public Information/Emergency Communications/Media Relations
- Intergovernmental Relations and Event Management
- Constituent Services Division: 311 Customer Service Center
- City Cable TV: Government and Education programming
- Immigrant Outreach: SomerViva Language Liaison Program
- Civic Engagement/ResiStat
- Youth and Senior Arts and Culture Programming and Support
- City Website and Departmental Online Communications
All media inquiries are made to the Office of Communications & Community Engagement's media team. We are: