Become a Somerville Climate Forward Ambassador!
- Have you been hearing about climate change in the news and wondering what can be done about it?
- Do you find climate change too complex or intimidating to talk about?
- Are you curious about what is happening in Somerville to address climate change and how you could play a meaningful role?
- Do you want to get more involved in your community?
If you’re looking for an opportunity to learn something new, get more involved in your community, become a local leader, or meet new people, consider applying to become a Climate Forward Ambassador.
The Somerville Office of Sustainability and Environment (OSE) is launching a new ambassador program to educate a diverse group of Somerville residents about climate change.The goal is to increase the Somerville community’s capacity to engage in climate action. You don’t need any prior knowledge about climate change to participate—in fact, the ideal group will have a range of expertise and knowledge on this topic.
The Ambassadors Pilot Program
OSE will select up to 20 participants into the first cohort of the Climate Ambassadors program. The group to meet with OSE staff monthly over six months to learn together about climate change, including what is happening globally and locally and what can be done about it. Each evening meeting will include a presentation and group discussion on a specific topic. The program will wrap up with a public celebration where the ambassadors will briefly share topics and projects of their choosing.
Following their participation in the program, ambassadors will be better equipped to (a) engage in discussions and decisions about climate change, (b) know how to assess the importance and impact of various climate actions within the city, (c) engage in City-led climate programs and projects, and (d) inspire, motivate and encourage other residents to take action.
Discussion topics will include:
- Somerville Climate Forward (Somerville’s new climate plan)
- Global climate change science and policy
- The task of becoming carbon neutral in Somerville
- Local impacts of climate change and how to prepare for a changing climate
- Equity and climate justice
This pilot project will be shaped in part by the Ambassadors and their interests and concerns.
Meetings will take place in Somerville on Thursdays from 6-8pm from June through November.
Meeting dates are as follows:
- June 27
- July 25
- August 22
- September 26
- October 24
- November 21
- A public celebration will be scheduled at the end of the program in December.
Participants are expected to...
- Participate in the full process: all six monthly meetings and the final public celebration
- Engage in respectful group conversations.
- Do one hour or less of homework between meetings.
- Do one activity of their choosing in Somerville related to climate change. This could be holding a small group discussion with neighbors, doing an art project, writing a blog post, engaging in volunteer work, engaging on a policy topic, or any other related project. It could be done collectively.
- Share their project and participate in the public celebration hosted by the Mayor.
- Applications are due May 10, 2019. To apply, please fill out a simple application form available at https://goo.gl/XxKbhR.
- Somerville residents age 16 or older are invited to apply.
Contact Hannah Payne, Somerville Sustainability Coordinator at 617-625-660 x2422 or [email protected].