Donate to the Somerville Cares COVID-19 Fund
The Somerville Cares COVID-19 Fund supports the essential needs of Somerville community members most impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The fund will provide emergency funding to Somerville residents and Somerville workers, regardless of immigration status, to help cover basic needs including, but not limited to, food, medications, rent, utilities, childcare, and other basic necessities. The fund is hosted by the United Way and administered by the Community Action Agency of Somerville (CAAS).
All donations, no matter what level, demonstrate Somerville’s resilience in support of our diversity and our strength. To make a donation and to learn more, go to www.somervillema.gov/SomervilleCares.
Donate to Local Organizations Working on COVID-19 Response
If you are interested in making a monetary donation to a local non-profit agency supporting residents at this time please see the below list. In the interest of safety, at this time the City of Somerville is not facilitating donations of household goods (clothing, small appliances, linens, etc.) that are not directly related to health and safety.
If you have a suggestion of another local organization to include in this list, please email Chris Hosman at email@example.com.
Massachusetts COVID-19 Relief Fund
The Massachusetts COVID-19 Relief fund supports frontline workers, households affected by COVID-19, immigrant and undocumented populations, food security, people with disabilities, and those facing homelessness in Massachusetts. The fund was established by First Lady Lauren Baker and the One8 Foundation and will distribute money to charitable organizations across the state that are helping vulnerable populations respond to the impacts of COVID-19.
- Project SOUP runs a food pantry at 165 Broadway. You can support the food pantry by making a donation through the Somerville Homeless Coalition website. When making a donation online you can designate your donation to “Food pantry/ Project SOUP” under “If you have a special purpose for your donation, please let us know.”
- Food for Free is delivering 3,000 - 4,000 pounds of food per day from the Greater Boston Food Bank to the City of Somerville for their supplemental food pantry during the COVID-19 crisis. Food for Free runs food rescue and access programs in Somerville and Cambridge.
- Community Cooks is partnering with Forge Bakery to deliver ready-to-eat meals to Somerville residents who are in quarantine. These meals help to supplement the grocery bags provided by the City’s food pantry.
The Somerville Homeless Coalition continues to provide shelter for the homeless and move people into permanent housing where possible. SHC also runs the PROJECT SOUP food program which addresses food insecurity in the community.
Diapers, wipes, and formula for Somerville families
In collaboration with The Beautiful Stuff Project, the Somerville Family Learning Collaborative provides free diapers for Somerville families with infants and toddlers. Free diapers are distributed every Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the East Somerville Community School and West Somerville Neighborhood School. Donations for diapers may be made here.
Domestic Abuse Support
Respond is requesting donations to support their 24-hour domestic abuse hotline which is of critical importance during the COVID-19 crisis.
The Welcome ProjectImmigrant Assistance Fund provides financial support to residents of Somerville, Medford, Everett, Malden, and Cambridge affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, regardless of immigration status.
The MassUndocufund for COVID-19 Relief provides financial support to undocumented workers living in Massachusetts who have lost their jobs as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Greater Boston Legal Services helps low-income families and individuals secure the most basic necessities of life: shelter, safety, food, and stability.
- If you are a business interested in donating quantities of hand sanitizer, soap, or toiletries please contact Chris Hosman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a business interested in donating groceries please contact Food for Free.
- If you are a business interested in donating prepared meals please contact email@example.com to be matched with a local non-profit.
This information and links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only. They do not constitute an endorsement or approval by the City of Somerville of the linked websites, or the information, products or services contained therein. The City of Somerville does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. The City of Somerville bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality, or content of the external site or that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.