DPW - Buildings
September 16, 2022, the Certificate of Zoning Compliance (CZC) was repealed from the Somerville Zoning Ordinance (SZO). Projects are still required to demonstrate zoning compliance prior to building permit issuance. Zoning compliance reviews will be conducted administratively under the building permit review process. A “Zoning Plan” will be required as part of the building permit application for all projects not determined to be normal maintenance. All active CZCs will be closed out as no longer applicable (N/A) and all review comments will be transferred to the building permit application if one exists for the project. Any project that has paid a CZC fee but has not received a building permit will have the $250 zoning review fee credited to the building permit application.
The Buildings Division ensures that all City buildings and schools are safe, clean, and welcoming to all that enter. The Buildings Division:
- Maintains optimal performance of City buildings & schools by performing preventative maintenance and repair services to elevators, mechanical, HVAC and control systems, electrical, plumbing, alarm, and security systems.
- Performs interior/exterior repairs and renovations including physical support.
- Provides custodial and maintenance services, clearing of snow from all City-owned facilities and walkways, salting walkway surfaces.
You can submit a request about a City-owned building or school by contacting 311.
Services provided by the Buildings Division include:
- Plow, salt, sand, and shovel all schools, municipal buildings, and municipal lots during a snowstorm for safe access for the public and municipal employees.
- Provide installation, maintenance & repairs to various flagpoles and banners in order to maintain the beautification of the City.
- Provide custodial services to DPW buildings in order to maintain a clean and safe environment.
- Supervise outside Contractors for HVAC, fire safety, fire alarm, asbestos, security systems, pest control, elevator repairs, oil deliveries, and chemical treatments for all municipal buildings in order to provide a safe and healthy environment.
- Provide availability 24 hours a day to respond to City Agencies for the maintenance, security, and safety of all City buildings.
- Respond to emergency repairs on City-owned buildings within 24 hours of notification in order to provide a safe and clean environment.
- Respond within 4 days of notification to priority repairs in order to provide a safe and clean environment.
- Provide routine maintenance services on City-owned buildings on a scheduled basis in order to maintain buildings in a satisfactory condition.
- Respond to various work requests in a timely manner in order to provide a safe and clean environment.
- Respond to various work requests for furniture moves in a timely manner in order to provide a safe and clean environment.
Please submit website feedback using this form. Be sure to include:
Thank you for your feedback!