Dangerously Cold Weather Expected Friday to Early Sunday, February 3-5: Take Steps to Stay Safe & View a List of Warming Centers
The Grounds Division ensures the functionality and safety of the City of Somerville’s parks, playgrounds, dog parks, bike paths, schoolyards, and green spaces. The Grounds Division maintains and services all city parks with daily duties including trash pickup and removal, recycling, equipment staging for events, flower and ornamental planting, mulching, spring and fall cleanups, Christmas light, and holiday setup and breakdown, irrigation startup/winterization, and minor repairs.
You can submit a request about a park, playground, dog park, bike path, school yard, or green space by contacting 311.
Services provided by the Grounds Division include:
- Maintain and repair the City’s playgrounds for the general public in order to provide a safe and clean environment.
- Maintain and repair the City’s ballfields and lighting for athletic events to provide a safe environment for the general public.
- Provide weed control, mowing, and fall clean-up services in order to provide a safe and clean environment.
- Empty trash barrels three days per week in various locations in order to provide a safe and clean environment.
- Maintain various irrigation and play shower systems in order to prevent plant and grass damage to maintain beautification for the general public.
- Maintain and repair DPW small motor equipment in order to support DPW operations.
- Provide litter control, fence repair, and landscaping services to various City locations in order to provide a safe and clean environment.
- Provide maintenance and clean-up services for Adopt-A-Spot on the City’s green space in order to provide a more attractive environment.
- Issue permits for the use of City parks to prevent scheduling conflicts and provide access to City facilities.
- Respond within 4 days of notification to priority repairs in order to provide a safe and clean environment.
- Respond to various work requests in a timely manner in order to provide a safe and clean environment.
Please submit website feedback using this form. Be sure to include:
Thank you for your feedback!