About the Department of Veterans' Services
The Somerville Department of Veterans’ Services honors the service and sacrifice of Veterans through advocacy, service, and engagement. The Department strives to take a Veterans Come First” approach by providing the benefits and services they have earned. The Department takes the time to engage with Somerville’s Veterans, learn their concerns, and work to improve their lives and our responsiveness in meeting their needs. We do so by adhering to the highest standards of compassion, commitment, excellence, professionalism, integrity, accountability, and stewardship.
Thank you for your service!
Monday - Wednesday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
For additional questions or to schedule an appointment, please call (617)625-6600 x4700 or email at email@example.com
50 Evergreen Ave.
Somerville, MA 02145
The Health & Human Services (HHS) Department recognizes the courageous service of Somerville veterans and works hard to help them, their dependents, and survivors access benefits from federal, state and local agencies that they have earned. The Veterans' Services Office helps these men and women, as well as their families, gain access to financial assistance and medical treatment. Services also include assistance with:
- Military Records (DD214) Separation Documents
- MASSVETS Financial Benefits Program: Chapter 115 Benefits and Annuity
- VA Boston Healthcare Enrollment and Services
- Claims to the VA for service-connected compensation
- Pension/Aid & Attendance for wartime veterans
- Massachusetts Tuition Fee Waiver Program
- Medical referrals and information
- Veterans' Employent and Training Services (VETS)
- Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF)
- Massachusetts Veterans Bonus Division
- Burial and Memorial and benefits
Massachusetts Definition of a Veteran
To be eligible for state veterans' benefits, one must be a "veteran" or a dependent of a "veteran" under M.G.L. c. 4, sec. 7, cl. 43rd as amended by the Acts of 2005, ch. 130.
- Monthly COA Veterans Group (every 3rd Thurs of the month until Mar 2023, then 4th Thurs)
- Memorial Day Parade: Sunday, May 28, 2023
- 15th Annual Women Veterans’ Conference
The Moving Wall Somerville November 2022
Monuments, Memorials, & Dedications
The Veteran's Commission on Monuments, Memorials, and Dedications is responsible for maintaining the custody and care of all monuments, memorials and dedications in the City of Somerville for the purpose of properly commemorating the services and sacrifices of the soldiers, marines and airmen who have served the country in war, or persons who have served the Commonwealth in time of war.
Contact info: City Hall Annex: 50 Evergreen Avenue (617) 625-6600 x4700 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Director Ted Louis-Jacques
- Veterans’ Services
- MASSVETS Financial Benefits
- Department of Veteran Benefits
- Property Tax Exemptions-other tax abatements/exemptions
- eBenefits Online access to VA/DoD benefits
- Massachusetts Department of Veterans Services
- Massachusetts Definition of a Veteran
- Women Veterans' Network
- Veteran's License Plate Application
- Veterans' Employment and Training Service
- Readjustment Services for Returning Veterans
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- The National Archives
- National World War II Memorial
- VA Healthcare Boston: (800) 865-3384 (follow the prompts)
- VA Health Care Benefits: (877) 222-VETS (877-222-8387)
- VA Benefits: (800) 827-1000 For information about: Education, Home Loan, Disability, Medical Care, Burial, Life Insurance and Sexual Trauma
- VA Caregiver Support Line: (855) 260-3274 (are you caring for a veteran at home?)
- VA Life Insurance: (800) 669-8477
- VA Education (GI Bill): (888) 442-4551
- VA Income Verification and Means Testing: (800) 929-8387
- VA Gulf War/Agent Orange Helpline: (800) 749-8387
- TBI Helpline (traumatic brain injury): (888) VET-1TBI (888-838-1824)
- VA Status of Headstones and Markers: (800)-697-6947
- VA Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD): (800) 829-4833
- Social Security: (800) 772-1213
- Medicare: (800) 638-6833
- The White House: (202) 456-1414
- Unites States Senate: (202) 224-3121
- United States Congress: (202) 225-3121
Please submit website feedback using this form. Be sure to include:
Thank you for your feedback!