Dangerously Cold Weather Expected Friday to Early Sunday, February 3-5: Take Steps to Stay Safe & View a List of Warming Centers
About the Licensing Commission
The Somerville Licensing Commission is responsible for issuing the following licenses:
- Restaurants (both with and without alcohol service)
- Package stores
- Private clubs
- Farmer pourers
- Entertainment providers
- Special (one-time) alcohol providers
- Special farmer wineries
- Recreational marijuana dealers
- Other marijuana-based businesses (except medical marijuana providers)
- Outdoor Seating on the Public Way (including temporary seating for special events).
The Commission develops rules and regulations pertaining to these licenses. The Commission also hears complaints about its licensees, whether they are submitted by public safety officials, elected officials, or the general public. Complaints can address alleged violations of the Commission’s rules and regulations, the City’s ordinances, or State laws. Complaints are investigated, and if warranted, addressed in a public hearing in which anyone can testify. If a licensee is found to be in violation, sanctions are levied that may include limitations on the licensee’s operating hours or some other aspect of the business, suspension of the license, or revocation of the license.
The Licensing Commission consists of three members who are appointed by the Mayor. A police officer is assigned as the Commission’s investigator, and the Fire Department and the Inspectional Services Department each conduct inspections as warranted. Finally, the City Clerk’s Office provides the Commission with staff support.
Monday - Wednesday
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
8:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
93 Highland Ave.
Somerville, MA 02143
- Joseph P. Lynch, Chair
- Christopher Allen, Commissioner
- Jacques Thomas Jr., Commissioner
- Lori Jean Batzek, Administrative Assistant and Executive Secretary
- Lieutenant Timothy Mitsakis, Somerville Police Liaison
- Captain Timothy Bakey, Somerville Fire Liaison
Use this form to file a complaint with the Licensing Commission about any suspected violation of the Commission’s rules and regulations, local ordinances, or state laws by any businesses licensed by the Commission. Just complete the form below and return it as follows:
Email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
Mail it to: Licensing Commission
Somerville City Hall
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville, MA 02143.
- 2022 Outdoor Seating Process
- 2022 Outdoor Seating Appendices
- Outdoor Dining Licensing FAQs
- How-to: Applying to Amend a Licensing Commission License for Outdoor Dining
Please submit website feedback using this form. Be sure to include:
Thank you for your feedback!