Cambridge Health Alliance to Provide COVID-19 Testing to Current Patients in Stand-Alone Testing Center at Somerville Location
Effort designed to support expanded testing, maximize healthcare resources and reduce risk of incidental infection
Cambridge Health Alliance (CHA) today announced that COVID-19 testing would be available to existing system patients via a stand-alone testing center at its Somerville Hospital location. Due to continued limited availability of tests, patients must meet federal criteria and be existing CHA primary care patients to be eligible for testing at this location.
“Providing a stand-alone testing location supports multiple public health goals: increased ease of testing, limiting risk of incidental infection and preserving hospital resources for the most ill patients; this is a situation that is unprecedented in my nearly 30 years as a physician, and CHA is doing everything possible to prepare for increased need,” said Dr. Assaad Sayah, Cambridge Health Alliance President and CEO and an Emergency Department physician. “We appreciate the support and encouragement of Mayor Curtatone in developing and moving forward with this important option for our community.”
"Social distancing and widespread availability to testing are both key in our ability to slow the spread of COVID-19," said Somerville Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone. "We're happy to partner with Cambridge Health Alliance in providing their patients with a faster way to get tested, and we will be working in the coming days to expand testing options to the general public."
The following outlines key information about the new resource:
- Testing will be conducted in a tent located at the Crown Street parking lot adjacent to Somerville Hospital (33 Tower St.)
- Testing is scheduled to begin on March 18 and will be provided seven days a week, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- ONLY current CHA primary care patients can currently be tested at this location
- Patients MUST CALL their primary care provider to be screened; tests will not be provided without prior authorization
- CHA will be able to test authorized patients who arrive on foot
- Due to the continued limited supply of tests, only patients who meet federal CDC criteria will be eligible to receive testing
CHA will continue to monitor the situation and make changes as circumstances evolve. Patients and community members wanting more information about testing should visit www.challiance.org for updated information.
The City and Somerville Public Schools will continue to post updates at www.somervillema.gov/coronavirus as more information becomes available. When appropriate, information will also be shared via City alerts. Sign up or check your subscriptions at www.somervillema.gov/Alerts. Sign up for every method you are able to receive: phone call, text, email.