CITY'S SOMERSTREETS PROGRAM RETURNS FOR SUMMER 2014
CITY’S SOMERSTREETS PROGRAM RETURNS FOR SUMMER 2014
Kicking off with “Carnaval” along East Broadway, SomerStreets promotes active living, reconnecting with city neighborhoods
SOMERVILLE – The City of Somerville’s fifth annual SomerStreets series kicks off for summer 2014with Carnaval @ SomerStreets on East Broadway on Sunday, June 1 from noon to 4 p.m. (rain or shine). SomerStreets is the City of Somerville’s take on the internationally-renowned Open Streets concept, closing busy city streets to vehicles, and opening them up for cycling, walking, dancing, running, and other modes of activity. Through SomerStreets, the City and its community partners aim to promote and encourage easy access to physical activity, fresh foods, and reconnecting with neighborhoods and businesses and their unique cultural elements in a thriving urban environment.
Carnaval on June 1 is produced through a partnership with East Somerville Main Streets, and its programming will extend along East Broadway from the intersection of Broadway and McGrath Highway to Pennsylvania Avenue. To jump start the event; join us at noon for the motion parade at the Cross Street Senior Center led by Mayor Joseph Curtatone! Carnaval will have live music on three stages with performances by: Afro D All Starz; Marcus Santos and AfroBrazil; Duppy Conquerors; Hot Sauce Blues Jam; the PHA drum line; On Stage Dance; El Sistema Somerville; Dirty Water Brass Band;,Coral infanto-juvenil do BEM; Meta Dance; and The Pennies. Other activities include: SomerPeople - a celebration of Somerville’s diversity; family friendly entertainment; arts and crafts; outdoor dining; and fun!
- SomerStreets is an annual series that takes place one Sunday per month in the months of June through October. The 2014 events schedule is as follows:
- Sunday, June 1: Canaval @ SomerStreets. East Broadway (McGrath Highway to Pennsylvania Ave.)
- Sunday, July 27: Seize the Summer @ SomerStreets. Highland Ave. (Walnut St. to Cedar St.)
- Sunday, September 7: Strike Up the Bands @ SomerStreets. Holland St. (Davis Sq. to Teele Sq.)
- Sunday, October 20: Monster MashedUp @ SomerStreets. Somerville Ave. (Union Sq. to Elm St.)
In order to ensure public safety at the event, several road closures and parking bans will be in effect between McGrath Highway and Lombardi Ave.:
- Closed to all vehicular traffic
- No parking on either side of the street from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Residents who live on the west side of Broadway will be detoured onto Broadway at Pennsylvania Ave.
- Residents who live on the east side of Broadway will be detoured onto Pearl St.
- One way streets on the west side of Broadway will become two (2) way streets for the duration of the event.
- Bus Schedule – buses will be rerouted from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Please contact 311 for more information.
SomerStreets builds on the City’s Shape Up Somerville initiative by promoting active living, providing easier access to healthy foods, and encouraging collaboration among all community members and organizations.
All SomerStreets events run from 12 to 4 p.m., rain or shine. For more information about road closures or on how to participate, please contact Carlene Campbell-Hegarty, Director of Community Relations at (857) 523-9017 or visit www.somervillema.gov.
Please submit website feedback using this form. Be sure to include:
Thank you for your feedback!