Skip to main content

Some Outdoor Performances Allowed to Resume in Somerville

Because COVID-19 is less likely to be transmitted in outdoor settings, the City of Somerville has updated its COVID-19 guidelines to allow some outdoor performances to resume, both in public and private spaces, such as parks, plazas, or restaurant outdoor dining areas. Performances must have no or very low aerosol projection, meaning activities that do not include speaking or other vocal projection. For example, dance performances or instrumental music using non-wind-instruments are allowed, but a performance involving singing, speaking, or playing a woodwind or brass instrument is not. Crowd size is capped at current outdoor gathering limits of 25 persons or at the approved venue capacity.

All activities must follow City and State health and safety guidelines and existing permitting procedures, and organizers must complete a health and safety plan (HASP). Performers and event organizers will be responsible for enforcing mask wearing, social distancing of both performers and audience, crowd size, and other safety guidelines during the performance. For more information and to apply for a permit/license:  

For businesses wanting to have outdoor performances: Visit and upload your request under your existing license.

For individuals and organizations wanting to have an outdoor performance in a public park: Go to the website to make a facility reservation request. You will need to create an organization account with a user name and password. Once an account is created you can:

  1.  Login
  2. On the home page click on the link that says “Click here to make a Facility/Field Reservation Request”
  3. View the calendar and openings
  4. Choose your facility location, dates, and times
  5. There is a “notes” section in which you can add additional information such as lights, concessions, etc.
  6. Submit the request
  7. Keep in mind there are fees for the use of fields and boathouse

Once we receive the request, we will confirm with you either by email or phone based on the nature of the request. Keep in mind there are times when we have to wait to receive the high school events/sports requests before we can confirm.

For buskers/street performers or organizations wanting to have an outdoor performance in a public square or plaza: Email or call 617-625-6600 ext. 5600.  

For more information and regular COVID-19 updates, visit  and sign up for City alerts at Community members are encouraged to sign up for every alert method: phone call, text, email. Also follow  and @SomervilleCity.

Please submit website feedback using this form. Be sure to include:

A description of the issue (if any)
A link to the affected pages

Thank you for your feedback!