Enforcement of City Ordinances
Animal Control Officers will issue tickets to anyone in violation of the following ordinances pertaining to dogs in Somerville:
- All dogs over the age of six (6) months must be licensed and then renewed each year in January. Licenses can be purchased at City Hall in the City Clerk's Office.
- Leash Law: all dogs must be restrained at all times.
- Dogs are not allowed in Somerville parks unless otherwise posted.
- All dogs and cats must be vaccinated against rabies.
- Pooper Scooper Law: Dog owners must pick up after their dogs at all times.
EACH OFFENSE IS SUBJECT TO A $50.00 FINE.
Please keep in mind that these ordinances were enacted for the health and safety of Somerville citizens, as well as their pets. If you have any questions about these laws, please call 311, or 617-666-3311 from outside of Somerville.