Dangerously Cold Weather Expected Friday to Early Sunday, February 3-5: Take Steps to Stay Safe & View a List of Warming Centers
What You Need to Know Before You Get Started
To enter into a domestic partnership in Somerville, you and your partner(s) must proclaim under the pains and penalties of perjury that:
- You are 18 years of age or older and mentally competent to contract;
- You are in a relationship of mutual support, caring and commitment and intend to remain in such a relationship;
- You consider yourselves to be a family;
- You haven’t been in a domestic partnership that was terminated in the last 90 days unless the termination resulted from the death of a domestic partner; and
- You aren’t closely related. (That means you can’t enter into a domestic partnership with any parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, parent’s spouse, grandparent’s spouse, child’s spouse, grandchild’s spouse, partner’s parent, partner’s grandparent, partner’s child, partner’s grandchild, sibling, sibling’s child, or parent’s sibling.)
Register Your Domestic Partnership
- We are registering domestic partnerships in a way that minimizes your face-to-face interaction with city employees.
- Download the Domestic Partnership Registration Form from the City’s website and fill it out with a black pen as clearly as you can. Print the name and birthdate of each partner, the address of the common household, and contact information for the City Clerk’s use. DO NOT sign the form until you are in the presence of a Notary Public.
- Arrange a time for all of the partners to appear together before a Notary Public licensed in Massachusetts. Make sure you each bring a valid government-issued photo ID with you. Then sign the form in front of the Notary Public, so the Notary can notarize your signatures.
- Place the form in an envelope with a $50 check or money order payable to the City of Somerville. Add $15 for each Domestic Partnership Certificate that you wish to receive.
- Return the envelope with the form and the payment to us in one of two ways:
- Drop it in the black drop box just outside the School Street entrance of City Hall; or
- Mail it to the Somerville City Clerk, 93 Highland Avenue, Somerville, MA, 02143.
- We’ll register your Domestic Partnership on the date we receive it. If you ordered one or more Domestic Partnership Certificates, we will mail them to your household.