How to Recycle Your Mattress and Box Spring
- Schedule a pickup: Residents must contact 311 Constituent Services in advance to schedule a mattress and/or box spring pickup. Call 311 at 617-666-3311 or visit somervillema.gov/311 for more contact options.
- Put items on the curb on the arranged pickup day: The mattress or box spring will be picked up curbside one day after your regular trash day with one exception. For residents with Friday trash pickup, mattresses and box springs will also be picked up on Friday.
- Place on the curb by 7 a.m. on the pickup day: Mattresses and box springs may be placed outside for pickup starting at 4 p.m. on the day before the pickup day — and must be out before 7 a.m. on the pickup day.
- Please follow the rules: Recyclable mattresses placed out with trash and not scheduled for pickup will be left on the curb and, after a grace period at the start of the program, may be subject to fines.
Which mattresses and box springs can be recycled?
- Most mattress types can be recycled including foam, spring, mixed material, or latex mattresses and all box springs. All mattress sizes will be accepted, from king to crib size.
- The following items will not be accepted for recycling. Please dispose of them with the trash:
- infant sleeping pads not meant for cribs
- futons, mattress pads, or toppers
- excessively torn, soiled, or moldy items
- broken, crushed, or twisted items
- air or water beds
- bed-bug-infested mattresses (For information on how to properly mark and dispose of an infested mattress, visit somervillema.gov/bedbugs.)
Please submit website feedback using this form. Be sure to include:
A description of the issue (if any)
A link to the affected pages
Thank you for your feedback!