Fair Housing Intern
Fair Housing Intern
Are you interested in learning about and supporting efforts to assess fair housing issues in the City of Somerville?
The City of Somerville’s housing division, which administers affordable housing programs and initiatives, is seeking an intern to work with Housing Division staff members to coordinate community engagement efforts related to the City’s Assessment of Fair Housing (AFH), a fair housing diagnostic and planning effort that will be submitted to the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) in October 2017.
Would you like to be part of a new initiative to assist in creating more balanced living patterns?
The AFH is a new HUD requirement enacted in 2015 aimed at furthering the goal of creating more balanced living patterns required under the Fair Housing Act of 1968. The intern will play an integral role in the City’s work through its first AFH submission, assisting with the development and establishment of procedures for use in future submissions.
This paid internship provides unique opportunities such as:
- Assisting with the creation of a community survey on fair housing issues,
- Preparing a Power Point presentation for use at public meetings,
- Assisting in other community engagement activities,
- Reviewing local and regional fair housing data provided by HUD, and
- Reviewing reporting and community engagement requirements of the AFH
Commitment: 100 hours; beginning April 2017 or mutually agreed upon date during spring semester. Potential for work to extend beyond 100 hours into the summer months.
- Candidates who are currently pursuing a master’s degree in urban planning preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Interest and experience working in a Social Science-related field preferred
Send your resume and cover letter by Thursday, March 16th to:
City Hall Personnel Office
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville MA 02143
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to apply.
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon request.
Programs & Initiatives
Please submit website feedback using this form. Be sure to include:
Thank you for your feedback!