Somerville is a city that upholds progressive principles for both employees and residents alike. If you are looking for a culture that embraces innovation, empowerment, and collaborative involvement, Somerville not only embraces these talents but encourages them. Creative, hands-on collaboration with passionate dedication are at the core of the City's workplace culture. Challenging and fast-paced, Somerville also offers a generous benefits package that embodies a strong work-life balance. Not only is it a "Model City", as termed by The Boston Globe, but it is also a model employer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directing engineering surveys, including records research and field investigations, to acquire data required for design, layout and/or construction of streets, bridges, parks, sewer and water systems, and traffic flow;
- Preparing and/or reviewing engineering plans, specifications, and designs for compliance with engineering practices and City policies;
- Supervising the construction of public works projects such as streets, sidewalks, sewers, drains, and water systems to ensure compliance with City standards and state codes;
- Furnishing engineering advice to city boards, commissions and other city departments;
- Acting as resident engineer on construction projects to ensure the long term reliability of utility, roadway, and sidewalk infrastructure and to evaluate contractor's requests for payment;
- Reviewing work of contractors for compliance with plans and specifications;
- Coordinating for the municipality with other municipalities and state and federal agencies when joint engineering projects or state or federally funded engineering projects affect the municipality;
- Administrating the City's permit program for all work conducted with the public right-of-way and excavations throughout the City;
- Supervising engineering and other non-engineering personnel;
- Responsible for care and filing of all municipal plans.
- Must possess a bachelor's degree in civil engineering technology at a minimum.
- Registered professional engineer in Massachusetts preferred.
- Registered land surveyor in Massachusetts, preferred.
- 10 years' experience in municipal engineering projects, including highway, water, sewer, and drainage systems.
- Knowledge of plans and specifications and their application to the construction repair and maintenance of public works facilities.
- Knowledge of costs and units of measurements.
- Knowledge of the municipal budgetary process and accounting system.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise both engineering and non-engineering personnel.
Send your resume and cover letter by March 13, 2018 to:
City Hall Personnel Office
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville MA 02143
Email: [email protected]
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to apply.
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon request.
Individuals with disabilities who need auxiliary aids and services for effective communication, written materials in alternative formats, or reasonable modifications in policies and procedures, in order to access the programs and activities of the City of Somerville or to attend meetings, should contact the City’s ADA Coordinator, Nency Salamoun, at 617-625-6600 x2323 or [email protected].