Somerville is a city that upholds progressive principles for both employees and residents alike. If you are looking for a culture that embraces innovation, empowerment, and collaborative involvement, Somerville not only embraces these talents, but encourages them. Creative, hands on collaboration with passionate dedication are at the core of the City’s workplace culture. Challenging and fast paced, Somerville also offers a generous benefits package that embodies a strong work life balance. Not only is it a “Model City”, as termed by The Boston Globe, but it is also a model employer.
The Senior Civil Enginees will:
- Direct engineering surveys, including records research and field investigations, to acquire data required for design, layout and/or construction of streets, bridges, parks, sewer and water systems, and traffic flow;
- Prepare and/or review engineering plans, specifications, and designs for compliance with engineering practices and City policies;
- Supervise the construction of public works projects such as streets, sidewalks, sewers, drains, and water systems to ensure compliance with City standards and state codes;
- Furnish engineering advice to city boards, commissions and other city departments;
- Act as resident engineer on construction projects to ensure the long term reliability of utility, roadway, and sidewalk infrastructure and to evaluate contractor’s requests for payment;
- Review work of contractors for compliance with plans and specifications;
- Coordinate for the municipality with other municipalities and state and federal agencies when joint engineering projects or state or federally funded engineering projects affect the municipality;
- Administrate the City’s permit program for all work conducted with the public right-of-way and excavations throughout the City;
- Supervise engineering and other non-engineering personnel;
- Be responsible for care and filing of all municipal plans.
- This is a safety sensitive position.
Must possess a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering technology at a minimum.
Registered professional engineer in Massachusetts preferred.
Registered land surveyor in Massachusetts, preferred.
10 years’ experience in municipal engineering projects, including highway, water, sewer, and drainage systems.
Knowledge of plans and specifications and their application to the construction repair and maintenance of public works facilities.
Knowledge of costs and units of measurements.
Knowledge of the municipal budgetary process and accounting system.
Demonstrated ability to supervise both engineering and non-engineering personnel.
The work environment involves inside and outside activities, in all weather conditions including wet, hot and cold, and exposure to fumes, dust and air contaminants.
Physical and Mental Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Position requires standing/walking, driving, climbing, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, crouching and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position requires near and far vision and acute hearing, the ability to stand for long periods of time, navigate rough terrain and walk up and down stairs.
While performing the duties, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve problems; use math and mathematical reasoning; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or new skills; operate a computer/software; work under deadlines with constant interruptions; interact with City staff and other organizations; and occasionally deal with dissatisfied or quarrelsome individuals.
Visual demands require constantly reading documents for general understanding and analytical purposes.
Send your resume and cover letter by January 22, 2019 to:
City Hall Personnel Office
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville MA 02143
Email: [email protected]
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to apply.
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon request.
Individuals with disabilities who need auxiliary aids and services for effective communication, written materials in alternative formats, or reasonable modifications in policies and procedures, in order to access the programs and activities of the City of Somerville or to attend meetings, should contact the City’s ADA Coordinator, Nency Salamoun, at 617-625-6600 x2323 or [email protected].