About DPW - Sanitation
The Sanitation Division provides disposal, recycling and hazardous waste services to the residents and businesses of the City of Somerville and the general public so they may enjoy an environmentally cleaner and safer City.
- Increase public awareness, education and understanding regarding hazardous waste.
- Reduce and/or eliminate hazardous waste going to natural streams or mixing with domestic waste by providing Hazardous Waste Drop-off programs to the residents of Somerville.
- Eliminate hazards by responding to the illegal disposal of waste.
- Respond to public roadways, city buildings and residential hazardous emergencies within 24 hours of notification.
- Segregate major metal consumer items and white goods from the waste stream.
- Collect fees for white goods disposal.
- Remove all TV’s and computers/monitors from the City streets.
- Inform the general public how, when & why to recycle.
- Distribute recycle bins to Somerville residents.
- Supervise contractor pick up of all curbside recycling.
- Pick up any and all curbside recycling that was missed by the Contractor.
- Supervise contractor pick up of all curbside trash.
- Pick up any and all curbside trash that was missed by the Contractor.Print and mail yard waste calendars and stickers to Somerville residents.
- Provide yard waste drop off at the DPW for Somerville residents Monday – Friday.
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
(617-666-3311 outside Somerville)
Trash, Recycling, Yard Waste & More
Use the Trash & Recycling Information Portal to:
- Find your trash and recycling pickup day
- Sign up for reminders
- Learn how to dispose of bulky, hazardous, or electronic waste items
- View the Environmental Service Guide
- And more
Environmental Service Guide (PDF)
Trash & Recycling Information Portal
Look up disposal schedules and procedures online
Large Appliance (White Goods) Pickup
Large appliances require a $25 White Goods Sticker that can be purchased online, at the DPW (by check or money order), or at City Hall (by cash, check, credit card, or money order). When placing your white goods, curbside, be sure not to block pedestrian traffic.
- Air Conditioners
- Refrigerators: Remove door before placing item on sidewalk.
- Water Coolers (bubblers)
- Water Heaters
Programs & Initiatives
Please submit website feedback using this form. Be sure to include:
Thank you for your feedback!