About the WRAP Anti-Theft Program
A joint program with the Somerville Police, 311, and the City’s website to prevent the theft of bicycles and electronic devices and to solve crime. WRAP is designed to help as a theft deterrent and to raise awareness among Somerville residents about how they can avoid this crime–and fight back.
The purpose of WRAP is to create a database of portable electronic devices and bicycles: makes, models, serial numbers, and their owners’ details. The information we collect helps identify stolen property and identify perpetrators when stolen property is recovered by the Police and pawn shops.
(617-666-3311 outside Somerville)
Electronic Device Registration
Use the Electronics Registration Form to register electronic devices such as:
- Notebook computers
- GPS units
Once you submit the registration form, your devices will be added to our citywide registry. You will receive a WRAP sticker in the mail to put on your devices to deter potential criminals.
Use the Bicycle Registration Form to register your bicycle with the SPD
You have a better chance of recovering your property when it has been stolen or lost by simply registering it with WRAP. But WRAP is also an awareness campaign designed to help residents protect themselves and their property.
The first step in preventing this type of step is to make a habit of keeping your personal property locked up: in 20% of device thefts, the victim’s car was left unlocked. By taking a few extra precautions, you can avoid being an easy target.
Here are some other helpful tips:
- Don’t store your portable electronics in the car, but
- If you must, secure them safely and out of sight
- Keep windshield clear of suction cup rings that indicate the presence of electronic devices
- Keep power cords out of sight
- Always lock your bike, no matter how long you’ll be leaving it
- Secure your bike using a U-lock and/or sturdy cable locks that are not easily cut
- For the best protection against theft, secure the front wheel and the frame to the rack using a u-lock, and secure the frame and back wheel to the rack using a cable lock
- Only use bike racks to secure your bike. Avoid locking your bike to sign posts, parking meters, etc.
If your property has been stolen, file a police report immediately with the Somerville Police Department. SPD is investigating these crimes daily and your help in identifying the crime is important. After filing a police report, register your stolen property in this nation-wide database: www.juststolen.net. Both law enforcement and citizens use this tool to recover stolen property.
Please submit website feedback using this form. Be sure to include:
Thank you for your feedback!