Backflow Prevention and Cross-Connection Information
In conjunction with the requirements of the Department of Environmental Protection 310 CMR 22.22, the following procedures apply:
- No plumbing permit shall be issued for cross connection installations requiring Reduced Pressure Zone Backflow Preventers or Double Check Valve Assemblies until the application for such permit is accompanied by a letter of approval from the Department, its Designee or public water system. (http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/massdep/water/drinking/water-systems-ops.html#8)
- The Owner or Agent must deliver design data sheets, a drawing of the plans for installation of the reduced pressure backflow preventer or double check valve assembly, along with a $25 permit fee, to the Water Superintendent prior to the issuance of a building permit and prior to the installation of the device.
- The Water Superintendent will issue a permit.
- If the device is installed prior to obtaining the permit, the permit fee will be doubled to $50.
- No more than fourteen days from the installation of the device, the Owner or agent must schedule an appointment for inspecting the device installation.
- No water will be turned on unless the Water Superintendent has notification from the Cross Connection Control tester that the device passes the required test.
For approval of new water line installation/upgrade and to have the water turned on:
- Owner/agent must deliver a copy of the utility plans to the Water Superintendent.
- The Water Superintendent issues the permit for a water tap based on these plans.
- Prior to backfilling the trench, the owner/agent must call the Water Foreman for an inspection of the piping and the meter installation.
Programs & Initiatives
MWRA and the Cities of Cambridge and Somerville have implemented a system for rapid reporting of CSO discharges to the Alewife Brook.
Get your flu shot and updated COVID-19 booster at a City of Somerville clinic this fall. Both are strongly recommended to protect yourself and others from serious illness.
Please submit website feedback using this form. Be sure to include:
A description of the issue (if any)
A link to the affected pages
Thank you for your feedback!