Winter Heating Fuel Assistance Program
Low-income households may be eligible to receive help with winter heating costs through the Fuel Assistance Program. This program serves residents of Somerville and Cambridge. It is part of the Massachusetts Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Participants receive assistance with their heating costs between November 1 and April 30.
Learn More at the Fuel Assistance Program Website
8:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Tuesday - Thursday
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
51 Inman Street
Cambridge, MA 00000
This program is for residents with household incomes, before taxes, of less than 60 percent of the state median income. The most recent income levels are as follows:
|Family Size (# of people in the household)||60% of
Estimated State Median Income
Benefit levels depend on household size, household income and the cost of energy consumed over the last 12 months.
If you are in a no-heat situation or facing immediate utility shutoff, fuel assistance can be provided within 24 hours to eligible applicants. Call 617-349-6252 for immediate assistance.
Due to COVID-19, all application appointments will be done by phone and applications will be submitted through no-contact options.
First Time Applicants
- Applicants will be prompted to create an account and will receive a verification code from DoNotReply@CommunitySoftwareGroup.com to activate your account and start your application. Be sure to check your junk mail folder in addition to your inbox.
- Applicants have the option of uploading their supporting documents to the application portal. Fuel Assistance documents are available to download below. You do not need to upload documents online in order to submit your application for review.
- After completing the online application, applicants will be prompted to make a phone appointment with a Fuel Assistance staff member to review eligibility and finalize the application process. English and Spanish-speaking intake workers are available to assist applicants.
Cambridge and Somerville residents who have previously received Fuel Assistance were mailed an application to reapply.
- If you would like to reapply, but have not received an application by mail, please call 617-349-6252 to set up a phone appointment with Fuel Assistance staff.
- To check on the status of your application, call 617-665-6234. (You will be prompted to provide your social security number).
To apply for Fuel Assistance, applicants must submit documentation. Application forms are available to download and print below.
For more information about required documentation, click here.
Forms can be submitted by the following no-contact options:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail application to Fuel Assistance c/o Dept of Human Service Programs, 51 Inman St., Cambridge, MA 02139
- Drop in the Fuel Assistance Mail Box located on Inman Place by the wheelchair access ramp
Special arrangements can be made to assist homebound applicants.
Learn more at the Fuel Assistance Program website: https://www.cambridgema.gov/IWantTo/ApplyForFuelAssistance
If your household income exceeds the limits for the Fuel Assistance Program, you may be eligible for some heating assistance through the Massachusetts Good Neighbor Energy Fund, which is run by the Salvation Army. This fund serves residents who are in temporary crisis and unable to pay their energy bills but who are not eligible for federal or state funds. Visit magoodneighbor.org or call 1-800-334-3047 to learn more.
Massachusetts Cold Relief Heatline: 1-800-632-8175
Massachusetts Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP): http://www.mass.gov/hed/community/energy/low-income-home-energy-assistance-liheap.html
Other cold relief programs in Massachusetts: http://www.mass.gov/hed/community/energy/cold-relief-information.html
Please submit website feedback using this form. Be sure to include:
Thank you for your feedback!