About the Public Space and Urban Forestry Division
Information & Rules for Community Gardens in Somerville During COVID-19 Pandemic: View Here
Rules for Social Distancing in City Parks
We know it is very difficult to be inside especially as the weather warms up, but we must all work to stop the spread of the COVID-19 virus. People’s lives are at stake. Understandably, people are using the parks as a way to get some fresh air. But even outside, we must follow the rules of social distancing – stay a minimum of 6 feet away from others at all times. Please be vigilant with children who may not understand social distancing. If you can, visit parks at less busy hours. If there are too many people at a park to obey the rules of social distancing, go home and come back at another time. If you can, please consider taking a walk through the neighborhood as a way to get some exercise.
All playgrounds and courts are closed. Other parks will remain open unless they contribute, in any way, to the spread of COVID 19. Remember that we are all in this together and we each have a responsibility to keep our community healthy.
Please Follow These Rules (Click to View)
- If you are sick, stay home.
- Consider visiting parks at less busy times. If there are too many people to practice social distancing, go home and come back at another time.
- When you are out, always stay 6 feet away from anyone who does not live in your household.
- All playgrounds in Somerville are closed. Play equipment can spread the virus.
- All tennis, basketball and multi-sport courts are closed to prevent close contact.
- Parks and fields are open, but team sports – including pickup games – are not allowed.
- Kicking a ball with another person or member of your household is OK.
- Do not arrange playdates or social gatherings at parks. Even people who seem well can be spreading the virus.
- Dog owners should stay 6 feet away from other owners at all times and should not pet others' dogs.
- Community gardeners should garden alone and stay 6 feet away from other gardeners at all times. Tools should not be shared. Use hand sanitizer before and after opening gates.
- Follow CDC recommendations for staying safe. Wash your hands after being outside.
We are in this together. Please do your part to keep our community healthy. Learn more about COVID-19 safety and social distancing at somervillema.gov/Coronavirus.
The Public Space & Urban Forestry Division works to design, protect and maintain the city’s public realm. Our mission is twofold: 1) We plan the renovation and development of parks, plazas, streetscapes, and open spaces; and, 2) We work to increase, manage and care for the urban tree canopy.