What resources are available for individuals and families experiencing food insecurity?
- The Somerville Office of Food Access and Healthy Communities can help connect you to food resources in Somerville. Complete this form to request assistance or refer someone else for assistance, or call 617-776-7687.
- See a comprehensive list of food pantries, locations, contacts, and other nutrition assistance during COVID-19 on the Somerville Food Security Coalition website. Call an organization before visiting in person, as they may have new procedures to follow.
- Somerville Public School students and families can also contact the Somerville Family Learning Collaborative school and community liaisons team, or learn about free and reduced meal programs through the Somerville Public Schools.
- Project Bread offers a FoodSource Hotline at (800) 645-8333 (TTY line: 1-800-377-1292) to help callers find food resources. The hotline is available in 160 languages.
- WIC is a supplemental nutritional program for children under 5 years old. Check your eligibility for this program here. To apply for WIC, complete an application online or contact the local Somerville WIC office at the Cambridge Health Alliance here or at (617) 575-5330. A WIC staff member will call you back. Massachusetts WIC is also available at (800)-942-1007 or (617)-721-6601 weekdays Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you hear a recording, please leave a message with your name and telephone number.
- SNAP is a federal nutrition assistance program for low-income individuals and families that provides benefits via an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card. You can check your eligibility for SNAP here, and sign up for benefits here.
- Seasonal Farmers Markets:
- The Somerville Winter Farmers Market runs from December - April and accepts SNAP, WIC, HIP, and senior coupons.
- The Davis Square Farmers Market runs from May-November and accepts SNAP, WIC, HIP, and senior coupons.
- The Union Square Farmers Market runs from May-November and accepts SNAP, WIC, HIP, and senior coupons
- Oakdale Farms: You can spend your SNAP and redeem your HIP benefits by placing a farm-fresh order for delivery from Oakdale Farms! Instructions for using your SNAP or HIP benefits at Oakdale Farms can be found here.
You can also call 311 any time if you’re concerned about food access and they will connect you with local resources. Multilingual assistance is available.